Sylvia Stanway is an autistic adult and parent.
Sylvia was involved in co-producing the Capabilities Statement for social work with autistic adults.
In this video Sylvia talks about the importance of the Capabilities Statement and about using this in practice to communicate effectively, build relationships, develop an understanding of needs, advocate for and support family life.
This video has been produced in collaboration with Sylvia Stanway, BASW and SCIE as part of DHSC commissioned work to develop resources to embed the capabilities statement for social work with autistic adults.
Who will find the video useful?
- Student social workers
- Newly qualified social workers
- Social workers in generic teams
- Social workers in specialist teams/settings
- Social workers in transitions- supporting young people into adulthood
- Social workers in children’s service supporting autistic parents
- Practice educators
- ASYE Assessors
- Team managers
- Service managers
- Principal social workers
- Learning and development leads.
How can the video be used?
- As part of induction training
- Individual learning and development
- One-to-one supervision
- Peer reflection or peer learning
- Team meetings
- Formal/informal training
- Continuous professional development
- To share information and knowledge
- To support organisational learning and development across teams and services.
Questions to aid reflection and learning
- How do you feel after watching Sylvia’s video?
- How will this inform your practice?
- How will you promote Sylvia’s key messages?