The Diaspora SIG Committee
- Priya David (Co-Chair)
- Duc Tran (Co-Chair)
- Anstance Fometu (Co-Vice Chair)
- Omar Mohamed (Co-Vice Chair)
- Yohai Hakak (Treasurer and Researcher)
- David Jones (Honorary Member)
- Irine Mano (Secretary)
- Michael Nwoye (Membership Officer)
- Katrina Williams (Training and HR Support)
Aim of the SIG
We are the British Association of Social Workers Special Interest Group for Overseas Qualified Social Workers in the UK
We aim to:
- Advocate for the voice and interest of diaspora or overseas social workers
- Promote best practice standards for the recruitment and retention of diaspora social workers.
- Promote the development of support networks for diaspora social workers
The committee members meetings every 6-8 weeks but we also engage in monthly network meetings with diaspora/overseas social workers throughout the year. The network meetings allows us to connect and share our experiences around a common theme for discussion each month.
International Recruitment and Induction Standards for International Social Workers coming to the UK
In June 2023, the SIG published a framework providing guidance on best practice in the recruitment and induction processes for social workers who have qualified outside the UK. "International Recruitment and Induction Standards for International Social Workers coming to the UK."
The standards have been co-produced with social workers who have lived experience of migration to the UK and aims to ensure that international social workers have the support and training they need to be successful as social workers in the UK and to make a positive difference to their employers and the lives of the people with whom they will work. The standards have also been developed in the context of unprecedented demand for social workers in the UK, with recruitment and retention pressures a significant challenge for the profession.
Useful links and resources
- Department of Health and Social Care: Code of Practice for the international recruitment of health and social care personnel in England
- Skills For Care: International Recruitment International recruitment (skillsforcare.org.uk)
- CIPD Employing Overseas Workers | Factsheets | CIPD
- NHS Ethical Recruiters List Ethical Recruiters List | NHS Employers
- Diaspora SIG Induction Standards
For job applicants
If you are thinking of coming to work in the UK, it is important that you are well informed become arriving. Here we list some important resources to help you make this important decision.
Already in the UK?
You are welcome to join us at our monthly network meetings or connect with other social work groups in the UK.
- Hong Kong Social Workers Action Group (email@example.com)
- Black & Ethnic Minority Professionals Symposium
Do you need advice and representation at work?
As a BASW member you can access free advice and telephone support from the BASW Advice and Representation team. Find out more about the Advice and Representation service here.
Here, we list some of the research involving diaspora social workers and ethnic communities in the UK and abroad.
In the NEWS- articles, blogs, vlogs!
Social Work Student Connect: International Social Work (341) International Social Work. Social Work Student Connect Webinar 36. - YouTube
The SIG aims to develop training webinars on specific topics for overseas qualified social workers and their managers. Course information will be available here.
Cost of living in the UK
You may have heard that it is expensive to live in the UK, with the price of goods and services being affected by the war in Ukraine, Covid and Brexit. It is important to control your expenses and there are resources that can help you to achieve this.