BASW membership for independent social workers.
Along with standard BASW membership, self-employed independent social workers can opt into one of our two enhanced independent membership packages to support your independent practice.
- Independent Basic
- Independent Plus
- £5 million professional indemnity insurance cover (independent basic package)
- Plus package includes £5 million public liability cover and £10million public indemnity insurance.
- Get listed in our specialist directory to attract work
- Access professional development to specifically support your social work business including networking events
View details below of the standard BASW membership and add the enhanced independent package of your choice.
Standard working membership package
BASW's standard membership package offers membership for social workers who have been qualified and worked in a social work position as follows:
|Category||Direct Debit / monthly|
|Working (qualified over five years)||£24.50 / month|
|Working (qualified for less than five years)||£17.56 / month|
- Protection. £5 million professional indemnity insurance cover tailored to your social work role and experience level.
- Representation. Access BASW/SWU Advice and Representation, a team of qualified social workers for professional/regulatory help.
- Professional support service. Confidential 1-1 support and coaching service for social workers and students.
- Training and CPD. Develop your knowledge and skills and carve out your career path with free and discounted CPD.
- Specialist resources. Access policies, resources and practice guides for social work. Connect Network with like-minded colleagues to discuss practice and share knowledge and ideas.
- Independent member bulletin. Receive the latest social work news, updates and events to your inbox.
- Events and conferences. Free and discounted access to leading conferences and events.
- Campaigning. Add your voice and influence on what matters in social work today.
- Code of Ethics. Be recognised for upholding the highest professional standards and practice.
- Professional social work magazine. The UK’s only printed social work magazine - delivered direct to your door.
- Save on journals. Up to 75% off on The British Journal of Social Work and Practice: Social Work in Action
Enhance your membership by opting into the Independent Basic package.
Add a further £5 per month to the standard membership rate.
|Package||Additional cost / monthly|
|Independent Basic||+ £5.00 / month|
- Professional Indemnity Insurance. All our membership packages include £5 million professional indemnity cover.
- Get listed in our specialist Independents Directory to attract work. Ranked #1 on Google, BASW’s Independents Directory is a public resource for clients to find the right self-employed social work professionals.
- @ibasw email address Get an @ibasw email address to use as your own and enhance your professional status
- Make professional links with other social workers. Belong to a UK wide network of 4000+ independent social workers or connect in your area. Our networks bring together self-employed social work professionals, practice assessors, trainers and educators.
- Connect online. Join the conversation in the BASW Independents private Facebook discussion group and the BASW Independents LinkedIn group.
- Show your professional status. Download and use our recognised BASW Independent Social Work logo to promote your work and professional status.
- Access CPD and professional resources. Sign-up to free and discounted events to meet your CPD regulatory requirements and keep ahead of updates in your sector.
- Receive BASW updates for Independent Members. Hear the latest insight, updates and resources for independent social workers.
- Apply the code of ethics for Independent Social Workers to your work. The Code of Ethics for Social Work for Independents outlines the principles of running a business, employing others and practicing independently. **need link**
Enhance your membership further by opting into the Independent Plus package.
Add for a further £15 per month to the standard membership rate.
|Package||Additional cost / monthly|
|Independent Plus||+ £15.00 / month|
- All of the Independent Basic package benefits
- £5 million public liability insurance cover designed for self-employed social work professionals
- £10 million enhanced professional indemnity insurance.
- Secure messaging service to send encrypted messages Protect your client and business data through our secure BASW branded email messaging service.
> Claim tax back on your membership subscription
UK tax payers who pay the BASW membership fee yourself can claim tax relief on professional association membership subscriptions. You can claim up to four years’ subscription fees. Find out more on the HM Revenue & Customs website. If you make a claim using SRS Ltd’s service, the company will pay £10 to the Social Workers’ Benevolent Trust. Please be aware BASW is listed as Social Workers British Association of on the HMRC website. Terms and conditions apply
|£5 million Professional Indemnity Insurance||Yes||X|
|£10 million Professional Indemnity Insurance||X||Yes|
|£5 million Public Liability Insurance||X||Yes|
|Secure messaging service to send encrypted messages||X||Yes|
|Get listed in the BASW Independents Directory||Yes||Yes|
|Forwarding ibasw email address||Yes||Yes|
|Professional links and networks||Yes||Yes|
|BASW Independents Logo to show your status||Yes||Yes|
|Independent updates, information, insight and resources||Yes||Yes|
|Discounted learning and professional development||Yes||Yes|
Working as an agency social worker?
Gain exclusive access to a fully compliant ethical umbrella company. Social Work Employment Services is the UK’s only not-for-profit social work umbrella company providing PAYE, payroll and employment services to independent, professional agency social workers and employment agencies.
Social Work Employment Services works in partnership with the British Association of Social Workers (BASW), donating all its surplus back into BASW to invest in its membership services and social work.